Saturday, March 12, 2011

Written Statement 1: Assignment 3

 For this assignment I had photos of multiple different concepts turn out, which is why I printed off more than than the required four. I wanted to show a few of my favorites from the different ideas that I had worked with or captured. I am not sure that it was the best idea to have so many photos with so many different moods for critique, but I wanted to get feedback on my different ideas.

  My idea for the squirrel and duck photos that I printed had initially just been about capturing the ducks that live behind my house. I thought it would be a good subject for contrast against the snow, and provide a new subject matter. Since I had photos of fake animals, I figured it was about time to have some of real animals. When I went outside it was as if the other animals all realized that I was taking photos and started becoming almost theatrical for me. That is how I ended up with the squirrel photo. I chose this photo in particular because he looked great against the snow and I thought how I had captured his motion turned out well. He was a ways away from me and I just used my zoom lens to get different views. I then cropped out some of the surrounding items in the original photo to keep the focus on just the squirrel. Then, I moved on to taking photos of the nearby ducks, also staying a distance away and just using my zoom to get closer in on what they were doing. While I was outside, the ducks were very active and interacting with eachother. They were diving into the water for food, getting angry at eachother, etc. I chose to use this photo because I was happy to catch such a clear photo of the duck in flight. Also, he wasn't really flying far, so I was happy to have caught the moment at all.

The two railroad photos I turned in were re-creations of photos I had from years ago. It was a perfect time to re-create the photos because the snow allowed me to show a dramatic change in time. I also feel that the snow helped to create a more intense mood than had been previously captured in the originals. I was motivated to re-create these photos because they each had something just odd enough about them to be interesting, as well as being able to be interpreted in many ways. I thought it would be interesting to see how others saw the photos.

My photo of the lighter and incense came about when I was taking photos of things around my house. I had been working with the intimate spaces prompt and was carried away. As I was going around the house, I started to try and capture some of the objects from unusual angles or capture things that weren't usually thought of as something to take a photo of. This photo fell into that group. When I went through my photos later, I fell in love with this photo and therefore had to use it. The lighting, perspective, and smoky coffee shop feel all captured my interest.

The billboard and trees photo that I turned in came out of a photo that was initially just an add in. It wasn't a photo that I had multiple of or a photo that I had really focused in on. I have really enjoyed the bare trees against the sky lately so started working with the photo because of that. The billboard also created its own set of interesting lines in the frame. Once I enhanced the blacks in the photo it became a keeper for me. It had a rough feel similar to the lighter/incense photo that I am attracted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment