Sunday, February 20, 2011

Written Statement Part 2: Assignment 2

Interpretation: During critique there wasn't as much said about my images as I would have hoped for, but I am sure that had something to do with the fact that I was the last to be critiqued. It also means that nothing was amazing. If something would have been that great, it would have provoked a strong response- people would have felt compelled to really say something. Interestingly enough, people found that the photo of my back said more about the gender role than the other photo from that set. The realness of the bakery photos was something that made people like the photos I chose from that set.

Evaluation: For my images I feel that trying to candidly capture people is working. During our group critique I had a few more photos that I thought captured this well, but excluded because of no great response. Some of the photos I ended up choosing didn't have the same contrasts in lighting so I regret some of my photo choices now. I was trying to show them in pairs though, to not feel so all over the place. I think a lot of my photos had a grey range, but not a ton of white or great contrast. It wasn't large enough. I would try and change this in my photos next time. I would like to make my photos smaller when printing next time also. Or maybe have only one large statement piece. I was drawn to people's who were all the same size in critique.

Extension: All of the photos I took I could see my self extending into a larger project. I think it would be neat to try and capture the "essence" of more people in a series of portraits. I would also do another project working with distorting body images or capturing someone's sexuality/capturing the asexuality of the human body. With the right people and resources either could turn out neat. Manipulating the body in photographs is a neat gift which is slightly harder to do with something like a plant. At some point, you have captured all there is to a plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment