Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Part 1 Written Statement: Assignment 2

           I chose to show my photographs in sets of two, showing two photos of each setting. One group was from the bakery across the street from my house and the second was from my set of photos that worked with gender. I liked the two photos that worked with the gender prompt better, probably because I worked with them more and put more thought into them, but the bakery photos have a candid, raw quality that I also love in photos.
   For the bakery photos I just had to work with the lighting they had, but it turned out well because the cases had great lights that added to the overhead lighting. I also couldn't plan very well because my subjects were either not paying attention to me, or unaware I was even photographing them. I thought these photos captured daily life well in an un-idealistic way. They just showed people for who they really are instead of who they would like to show. I went over to the bakery to take photos in the first place because it has a great atmosphere. A whole bunch of old women work in there and it is family operated. I have also been in there enough over the past 4 years to feel comfortable asking to photograph.
      For the body shots that I used to work with the gender set/prompt I primarily used only one light source coming from the right side. Coming from the right also was a bit of light sneaking through my window blinds. For the photo of my back, I was working with the idea of body parts that are generally asexual. I just find the body an interesting subject because of how you can distort it so readily-the meanings behind it as well. I was working with the curves of the spine and the body lines following the lines created with the chairs structure. For the frontal body photograph with the clutch I was trying to work with the idea of how open we make our bodies. I was trying to capture this in a not very sexually appealing kind of way. That is why I chose to have the photo revealing and yet not really showing more than you may see of somebody on the beach. It is more implied, because you know there is nothing there to cover. I found that the blue tint enhanced the shadows and did a good job of keeping a soft feeling to the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment