Thursday, January 27, 2011

Final Photos for Assignment 1


       In these two photos I was trying to capture the historic aspect to this typewriter. I believe it is 100 years old, and was just something that my dad bought on half whim/half bet. It came with the original ribbon and he had to type with it out at the coffee shop. The ribbon actually works! In the bottom photo I added the grain so I could lighten up the photo and make visible the inner machinery of the typewriter while also making it look more old fashioned. I had taken many photos of the inside because there is so much going on, but I liked how you could see the inside and the whole. In the top photograph, I love just how classic it looks. It is simple and yet has a certain beauty to it.
          This photo was not one that I originally was attracted to, but it seems to grow on you. The more I look at it, the more I see in it. I decided to work with this subject matter because it is just such a lonely image. There is one photo on a vast wall going up the stairwell, and it is only about the size of a sheet of paper. As I captured this scene from different angles, I realized how great the view from the basement and not the top of the stairs was. The small photo is framed and becomes the focus, no longer lonely. It also is surrounded by so many textures it becomes visually interesting, along with the lines that lead you in multiple directions. It feels like this is something that has a painting quality to it, instead of a photographic captured moment.

As I was taking photos of the Underwood typewriter, I found that some of the more close up photographs were some of my favorites. They had a more personal quality to them. I also loved how it turned out in black and white with the strong black of the typewriter and the different grey tones in the keys. In each I also was attracted to the oddness of how the 5 key was skewed to the side and off balance. I think it adds to the instability of the bottom photo and adds to the interest of the top photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment