Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Assignment R01:Recreation


       I am drawn to both of these photos out of the ones that I took for my re-creation because they both capture something different from the original photo I was given of Countess Castiglione ( of course with my adapted subject matter.) I feel that the bottom photo captures the more serious gaze she is holding in the original photo with a piercing stare that lets you into the subjects world. The first photo in my opinion has a more approachable expression, that is somewhat playful. As Countess Castiglione had Pierre-Louis Pierson, the photographer, take hundreds of photos of her throughout the years which she planned herself, it seems like this photo captures what her true personality must have been like. To me, it also has a more theatrical, live element to it while capturing a similar frame as the original- were it to be cropped.

      Framing was my main focus in putting together the composition. Countess Castiglione is holding a picture frame up to her eye in the original photo, which to me says "This is what I want captured."This was my launching point when doing my re-creation. I also chose to use the peacock frame because I felt it allowed me to do a close-up without losing any of the content being shared in the original photo. Peacocks bring up thoughts of uniqueness and elegance, as well as having lavish patterns and colors in their feathers. All these elements capture Countess Castiglione from the research I did on her, as well as making up for/not leaving out the impact of the outfit she has on. It seems that what she chose to wear was a key element to many photos that she posed for, and I chose the peacock to represent that.

No comments:

Post a Comment