Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blog Prompt 3

"Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be."- Duane Michaels.

      When I first read this quote I thought about the re-creation images that we presented the other day in class- specifically of the photo that was shot with the camera tilted. To me that photo had looked like a beach with the city on the right side of the photo initially, when all it turned out to be was a road. It really had turned the ordinary into something more interesting and desirable. I don't agree readily with Michaels' quote, because he is assigning photography a purpose. A camera, taking photos, and what you end up with is something different every time. Yet I am simultaneously drawn to this quote the more I read it and can think of times when this quote related to me. One of the best things about photography is the ability to manipulate things or capture things in a way that seems to make them more than they really are or unidentifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment