Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog Prompt #24

A. The first link I went to was Nikki S. Lee's and her Hispanic project was the first thing to come up on her page. The photo displayed was very up close and had a sense of being candid. You feel like the photographer really just went out walking around and took photos of people that they encountered. If I was to re-create this on a smaller scale I would like to emulate the idea of having natural looking photographs and of a specific group/ a set of groups, but I would want to just do different sets of groups. I would want to shy away from the ethnic groupings and instead get groups like homeless people, and neighbors, people I see in my daily life, etc. I think it would be a neat addition to then have a statement from each person that I have a photograph of. I would like to have something recorded from them such as if they could say anything or have anything known what would it be, or maybe something about who they are as a person.
       The second link I went to was the Joel Peter Witkin site. A photo I was drawn to from his front page was "The Beginning of Fashion in Paris" (2007). It is a less busy, less gruesome piece that he has done, but I feel in its simplicity it has a lot of room to move from. I would like to re-create this photograph using a Barbie and adding to the moderately plain background he chose more items that would be a part of the process of designing clothes such as fabric, more sketches, etc. I think this would add more visual interest to the background. I would also like to play around with incorporating the background into the figure (Barbie) in the foreground.

B.  For my self-proposed project I haven't 100% decided on what I want to do. I was considering extending the photographs I have taken of people around town, and that I know and turning it into a portrait project. I have enjoyed taking photos of people and trying to capture who they are this semester. I have also enjoyed some of the ugly landscape photos I have taken and was also considering seeing where I could go with that. If I didn't do one of these two things, I would want to attempt something virtually different from anything I have done so far this semester. Maybe an idea that I have had in the past but haven't had the resources or reasoning to do. I am still very undecided, and figure I now have something to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment