Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Assignment 5: Written Statement Part 1

For these images, I tried to make my images about distortion of boring objects and turning them into something of more of a painting quality. For the black and white image I was still focusing on the distortion, but it is more focused on an eerie psychological projection. I wanted it to have the feeling of a scary movie/psychology tests/insane asylum. It wasn't my intentions when taking the photograph, but the more I played with it the more that is what it felt like to me, so I tried to enhance that by laying over it a photo I had of clouds and a photo I had of a road surrounded by trees on a mountain. For the image that has the swirling/flower like pattern(that is really my purse) I really wanted to play up the texture and make that more interesting and complex.
  To make these images I started with just moving my camera lens while taking photos of odd things around my room. I liked how they were turning out so kept taking more. In photoshop I liked how I could enhance them in either direction and still like how they looked. This is what made me decide to work with them. I then wanted to add more to them so I started playing around with different ways to layer them together. It started when I was trying to layer two separate photos I had of the distorted painting I did. I wanted to enhance the dimensions I was pulling out of them. This wasn't working how I wanted because they had two different background tones, so I started playing around with other photos. Once one photo turned out, I started trying layering on the other images I was considering using. I then just worked with matching the colors and opacities until the photos meshed together well.
  I was hoping to just try something new with these photos and work with more of the tools we had been learning to use on photoshop. I haven't really done too much outside of camera raw this semester before this.
This grouping of photos fits more into the photos as art category that I have seen among early photographers and then more contemporary photographers. None of the photos capture the moment as it was, or for what an object really is. I don't think that these photos address any issues outside of their physical context in a very deep manner. It was more about experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment